The Rough Rider

The Student News Site of Roosevelt Intermediate School

The Rough Rider

The Rough Rider

AI…Life Changer Or Life Ender?

Over the past few years, Artificial Intelligence (also known as AI) has exploded globally. Even though many people have heard about AI, only some really know what it is. Artificial Intelligence is the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, especially computer systems. The applications of AI are seemingly endless, and while many people focus on the positives that come with AI, others are starting to see the potential dangers as well.  

One negative to this new technology is it can remove creativity and emotion from the task it is completing. AI can do the work for a person without them having to lift a finger, but it lacks the emotion a human can express.  As a result, AI’s work is not as dynamic or unique because humans didn’t naturally create it. 

Another drawback to AI is that it is not necessarily an authentic representation of a person’s talents or abilities. For example, it can be used to create deep-fake voices, which can be used to make it appear that a person actually said something, when in reality he/she did not. In school settings, students can use AI to write essays or complete other types of assignments where they are not actually doing the work.  Obviously this is an issue because ultimately students will not be learning and improving the way they need to be. Of course, one of the most significant drawbacks of AI is the potential to take people’s jobs away. AI can easily handle certain tasks that workers are responsible for, removing the need for human jobs. As more and more companies utilize AI, it could lead to rising unemployment rates, and an end to many jobs that pay people well. 

However, while there are a number of downsides to AI technology, there are also an abundance of positives as well. For instance, it can minimize human errors. By using AI, companies are better able to monitor output, increase employee safety, and reduce the chances of production errors. Another positive of AI is that it is constantly developing and improving itself, which can allow companies to work more efficiently and less expensively. 

Currently, AI is still considered in a development phase, but as we continue to learn more about it, more advancements will come. The hope of course is that ultimately, all the uses of AI will be for positive purposes, and this incredible technology will not create more problems than it solves.