The Rough Rider

The Student News Site of Roosevelt Intermediate School

The Rough Rider

The Rough Rider

Coachella Overview

Gwen Stefani & Olivia Rodrigo perform at Coachella 2024

The Coachella Valley Music Festival is one of the most well known music events in the world. The performances and attendees are always highly anticipated, and the yearly festival draws significant public attention. The first festival was held in 1999, and tickets were only $50 per day. Nowadays, tickets can range from $500 to $1,200 per day, and can cost even more in some cases. Despite the cost, the festival remains incredibly popular due to the legendary musical performances and eye-catching outfits worn by celebrities and artists alike.

This year the 2024 Coachella Festival took place on the 12th-14th of April and continued the following weekend on the 19th-21st.  Some of the big headliners included Lana del Ray, Billie Eilish, Sabrina Carpenter, Tyler the Creator, Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi Vert, and Ice Spice. Lana del Ray’s performance was particularly epic, and will now be remembered with other legendary performances from the past such as Frank Ocean’s appearance in 2023, Kanye West in 2011, Kendrick Lamar in 2017, Madonna in 2006, and Beyonce in 2018. 

While Coachella is known for its amazing musical performances, it has also become known for its impact on the world of fashion.  In fact, the clothes worn by attendees has taken on its own name, often referred to as Coachella casual, or Coachella chic.  It has also become the go to concert for major celebrities and influencers.  Going to Coachella is a way to meet other celebrities and influencers, while increasing one’s personal public profile.  

Some of the best outfits at Coachella this year were worn by Kendall Jenner, Sabrina Carpenter, Hailey Beiber, Charlie Damelio, Paris Hilton and Lana Del Ray. Paris Hilton was seen in a western inspired outfit, with an all black and chains dress, accompanied by a black cowboy hat and boots. Kendall Jenner wore a gorgeous long burgundy halter dress with a matching red snakeskin bag. Sabrina Carpenter was pictured in a mini blue romper with a matching cropped leather jacket while performing during the second weekend. Hailey Beiber showed up looking amazing with an oversized Yankees biker jacket and a cheetah print headscarf around her baseball hat and oversized cargos. During Lana del Ray’s incredible performance with Billie Eilish, she wore a blue shimmer, flowy dress with a cut out at the top, along with a pair of silver sparkling high-rise boots. 

Some of the highlight performances this year included Gwen Stefani’s set, in which she brought Olivia Rodrigo out on stage to join her, and Lana del Ray’s 19 song set, where she brought Billie Eilish out to end the performance. 

Coachella is one of the biggest music festivals of the year, and it is greatly anticipated by music and fashion fans around the world.  Once again, this year’s festival did not disappoint, and it already has fans eagerly awaiting the event again next year.