The Rough Rider

The Student News Site of Roosevelt Intermediate School

The Rough Rider

The Rough Rider

2024 Summer Olympics Preview

The summer Olympics are coming to Paris in July
2024 Summer Olympics Preview

Every four years the summer Olympics occur, creating a great deal of excitement for both the athletes and the spectators.  This summer the Olympics will be taking place in Paris, France from July 26th to August 11th.  The city is in the final phases of preparation, and people all over the world are looking forward to traveling to this famous city for such a monumental event.  

The Eiffel Tower, which is the most recognized structure in Paris, will be a huge part of the Olympics this summer. The triathlon and cycling time trials will begin at the promenade of the Eiffel Tower. Also, beach volleyball will be held at the Champ de Mars (under the Eiffel Tower). However, the Tower is not the only prominent location for the event, as athletes will be participating in venues all around the city.  

For example, urban sports will be held at La Concorde, fencing and taekwondo at the Grand Palais, and the start of the Marathon at the Hotel de Ville. A major change will be taking place to start the Olympics as the Opening Ceremony will not be held in a stadium as it usually is. Instead, it will occur on the Seine, the river that crosses the center of Paris. 

Of course, the highlight of the games are the incredible athletes, and this summer gymnast Simon Biles will be making her triumphant return.  After taking a break from gymnastics to take care of herself, she will be back and looking for more gold medals. The basketball teams are also something fans follow and this summer the USA Men’s Basketball Team will include stars like Devin Booker from the Phoenix Suns, and Steph Curry from the Golden State Warriors, while on the Women’s side, many people are curious to see whether the electric Caitlin Clark will be part of the squad.  Of course swimming and track and field always tend to be incredibly popular, and the USA is hoping to secure many medals in these events.  

Since the Olympics take place only once every four years, that allows some new sports to be introduced, and some older ones to return. For instance, field hockey will be making a comeback to the Olympics along with skateboarding and breakdancing. Sports climbing will debut for the first time ever in this year’s Olympics as well as surfing, which is creating a great deal of excitement for fans of these two sports.

Paris, France, will be the place to be this summer as the Olympics entertain the world.  It is always an incredibly exciting event to watch, and for those who cannot make it to France to see the events in person, coverage will easily be available through the NBC television network.