The Rough Rider

The Student News Site of Roosevelt Intermediate School

The Rough Rider

The Rough Rider

2024 – A Blockbuster Year in the Theaters?

In 2023, Barbie dominated movie theaters, and unquestionably was the big hit of the year. But as the calendar turns to 2024, movie lovers are wondering what will be the biggest movies to hit the screens this year.  Below is a preview of some potential blockbusters for 2024.

Mean Girls 2  (January 12th)

Mean Girls will return as a reboot musical Mean Girls 2. Tina Fey, author of the original 2004 film, returns as Ms. Norbury, along with Tim Meadows as Mr. Duvall. In the movie, Cady Heron, played by Angourie Rice, struggles through the challenges of high school especially under the influence of Regina George, played by Renne Rapp. 

Despicable Me 4  (July 4th)

Despicable Me first came out in 2010 and made around $4.4 billion. It was followed up by Despicable Me 2 & 3, and Despicable Me 4 was announced almost immediately after that due to its overwhelming popularity. In this latest edition Gru’s new and complete family will team up with the Anti-Villain League while attempting to live as normal a life as possible.

Spaceman  (To Be Determined)

Spaceman stars beloved actor Adam Sandler and is based on the novel Spaceman of the Bohemia by Jaroslav Kalfař. In the film, Sandler plays Jakub, the first astronaut from the Czech Republic, who is sent to retrieve space dust, but instead, finds a mysterious creature boarding his ship. 

It Ends With Us (February 9th)

It Ends With Us, debuted #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. The book and the film follow the story of Lily Bloom, played by Blake Lively. Lily is dating Ryle, played by Justin Balboni, until she meets Atlas, played by Brandon Sklener.  Atlas completely changes the relationship between Lily and Ryle, and as the story unfolds it explores powerful messages related to controversial and real topics. 

Inside Out 2  (June 14th)

Inside Out was a popular film that premiered  in 2015.  The original movie focused on the character Riley’s emotions, especially joy and sadness. The long awaited follow-up, Inside Out 2, focuses on new emotions such as anxiety, envy, and embarrassment.