The Rough Rider

The Student News Site of Roosevelt Intermediate School

The Rough Rider

The Rough Rider

Gwen Stefani & Olivia Rodrigo perform at Coachella 2024
Coachella Overview
May 16, 2024
Caleb Williams - Number 1 Overall Pick
NFL Draft Recap
May 16, 2024

Roosevelt Ranked 8th in New Jersey Among Public Middle Schools

As most people probably heard, recently, Roosevelt Intermediate School was ranked as the 8th best public middle school across the state of New Jersey. The ranking was determined by US News & World Report, a media company that publishes news, consumer advice, rankings and analysis. 

School rankings are determined by a number of things including state test scores, and at Roosevelt, 63% of students scored at or above the proficiency level for math. Additionally,  79% of students scored at or above the proficiency level for language arts. Roosevelt also scored very well when it came to student – teacher ratio.

Once the ranking was announced, we interviewed Mr Gechtman regarding his thoughts on this achievement. 

How do you feel about our number 8 ranking?

“It’s an amazing accomplishment being the eighth ranked middle school in New Jersey. As you can imagine, there are so many towns and so many middle schools within each town, so it’s definitely a prestigious award being recognized. But, I also think it’s super important that everyone understands that it’s a true tribute to our teaching staff as well as our students.”

What was your initial reaction when you found out?
“Super excited. My first few thoughts were, A) share it with our amazing staff and students B) inform the central office and the Superintendent about the recognition we were receiving and C) reach out to former staff members and former administrators that have worked at Roosevelt, to let them know that it was a collaboration and collective effort by all of us.”

What did the school/district do to recognize this achievement or will something be done to recognize the success of Roosevelt?

“I did share it with the Superintendent, and with our District Head of Public Relations, Mrs. McGann.  I know it was brought up at a Board of Education meeting, but I don’t know if they have other plans in the future or what the next steps may be. However, by no means should we just rest on it.  We should continue to celebrate and appreciate the accomplishment moving forward.”

Every student and staff member at Roosevelt School should be incredibly proud of what we have accomplished.  Being the 8th ranked middle school in the state of New Jersey is a tremendous achievement, and hopefully, moving forward we can continue to climb the ranks all the way to number 1!